What is one of life’s great options we have as individuals? It is the freedom of choice. Choice is our ability to be able to decide each day what we want to do and say without needing to be able to ask for permission. The great thing about choice is that it sets us apart in this world as unique individuals.
The choices you make in life become the individualized sculpture you create of yourself. Those choices; no matter how big or small are owned by you. Since nothing is free in life, each choice you make comes at a cost, which each of us weigh in our minds as part of the decision-making process. In most cases, CHOICE brings about responsibility. The responsibility that comes from CHOICE can be very rewarding. I always suggested that you make the CHOICE that yields you the best reward because you will judge yourself first based on your personal CHOICE. Society will judge you secondly based on how your CHOICE is displayed to the public.
Consider CHOICE as a process that gets you a little closer to your ultimate goal of fulfillment. The fulfillment; whether it be personal, in a relationship, a career choice, a stock choice, and even a business CHOICE could lead to long-term success. Let’s be clear again, the CHOICE is yours and you own it along with all the outcomes that come with it.
How many of us actually monitor the choices we make on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. How many of us forget about the choices we make until they come back to us again. Yes, your choices will give you 360 degree feedback. That feedback can be instant or some 10 years down the road but the feedback will come. How have your choices worked for you so far? If you are getting good results, you may also see that your choices are giving you lots of great self-fulfilling confidence and even power. The feeling that comes from making the right CHOICE can be one of the best feelings in life. For me, it brings a daily peace that inspires me to continue my work in the helping profession.
As you continue to make good choices, your life will become more convenient and comfortable because of it. Your self-esteem and your self-image will be off the charts. The sculpture that you make of yourself will never go unfinished and will look exactly the way you want it to look.
Here are some tips on making the right CHOICE:
1. Do your research and think it through. Make sure you do your research on all of the major and minor choices you need to make. It may involve plugging in some hypothetical options and weighing the possible outcomes to that you feel comfortable with the choice you make. Caution yourself on making impulsive choices without thinking it through. However, remember that some of the greatest business decisions are made when opportunity met preparation.
2. Do not over extend your ability by the choices you make. Do what you can within reason and seek assistance were needed. A lot of times we have some global choices with only local resources. If your local resources will not reach global, you may need to start small and work your way to the next level.
3. Stay positive in your choices. You thinking will make a big difference when it comes to the choices that you make in life. You will find in life that sometimes we are dealt a hand that we have no control of but we have to continue playing the game. Stay the course because it will make your CHOICES that much worth your while. Positive self-talk is the key to dealing with difficult situations. Surround yourself with positive support to help when difficult circumstance arise.
4. Treat your CHOICES like goals. Remember it is your choice and when things are not working the way you think they should, you may need to just employ some additional resources and tools to ensure that your choices yield a positive outcome. Always have a risk management plan that you can implement when things are not working as planned. It actually may involve cutting your losses.
5. Stay present when it comes to making CHOICES. Look for good opportunities to make great choices that make you feel good. Do not let others make decisions for you. Stay focused.
Take a look at yourself and who you are hanging around. Are your friends, family and business associates making good choices? Are you a person of influence? You need to constantly do a mental test of your choices and make sure your sculpture is coming along as you anticipated. Believe me, you are being watched and your choices are not only impacting you but others as well. So, my final advice is be careful what you choose.